Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Crockpot Veggie Chili

The nights are getting cooler in Cali, but it still doesn't feel like fall to me.  So.... I made chili-- my favorite cold weather dish! This recipe is vegetarian-friendly, but so hearty.  It's also made in the crockpot.  How easy is that?  It makes several servings. I'm talking so much that you can keep some in the freezer for later.  I adapted it from {Taralynn's blog}. Her recipes are just so so delicious.  My recipe is a much smaller version than hers, but will last me for weeks {I cook for myself only!} I even freeze it in smaller portions and thaw it out later.  You can change mine up a bit based on what veggies are in season or what you have in your fridge.  If you want to add a squash or another pepper, go right ahead.

Pin It

Here's what you'll need for the best veggie chili EVER:
1 sweet onion
1 large (or 2!) sweet potato
1 bell pepper
1 can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 can black beans, rinsed & drained 
1 can diced tomatoes, rinsed & drained
 1 can corn
1/3 bunch of cilantro
 1 jar tomato sauce
1/8 cup olive oil 
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 Tbsp black pepper
1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 bag of meatless crumbles
Shredded cheddar cheese 

  1. Dice your onions and bell pepper.  Skin sweet potato & dice.  Add to the crockpot {mine is only a few quarts, about 3 or 4}. Turn on HIGH.
  2. Drain and rinse your cans of beans & tomatoes. Add to the crockpot & add the corn {don't drain}.
  3. Chop cilantro.  Add cilantro, tomato sauce, olive oil, garlic, chili powder, black pepper, cinnamon, and sugar. MIX.
  4. Top with meatless crumbles.
  5. Let the crockpot cook for about 4 hours.
  6. Top with shredded cheese & enjoy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment