Sunday, November 3, 2013

Black Bean Quinoa Burgers

Since I'm vegetarian, I have to think of alternatives to eating meat that will still provide protein and substantial nutrition.  This is one of my favorite ways.  I can make a batch of black bean burgers, freeze them, and even take them to a BBQ or party if I want.  They are much heartier than the kind you'll find at the store.

Here's what you'll need:
 1/2 cup dry quinoa
1 Tbsp olive/vegetable oil
1 red onion, chopped {I usually use sweet onions!}
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1 15 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 egg
1 cup frozen corn
1/3 bunch of cilantro
1 cup spinach finely chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp oregano
3/4 cup dry oats

Pin It

Step 1: Add quinoa and 1 cup water in a pot over medium heat until boiling.  Once it boils, turn heat to low, cover pan & cook 15 minutes.  All water should be absorbed now.  Remove from heat.

Pin It

Step 2: Heat oil in saucepan.  Cut onions, garlic, salt. Saute on medium heat.
Step 3:  Remove from heat.  Add to a separate bowl with black beans.  Mash.  {I used a potato masher}.
Step 4: Stir in tomato paste, egg, corn, cilantro, spinach, cumin, oregano, quinoa, dry oatmeal.
Step 5: Shape into patties. Freeze or cook at 400 F for 15 mins on each side.

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I tried the recipe and the whole family loved it! Thank you for a healthy recipe. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed it! Check back soon for more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is delicious. I add some red pepper when I sauteed the onions & garlic and added some hot sauce. I topped mine with blue cheese. YUMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it G! This is really one of my favorites.

      Delete